aerial photo of north queensland beach

Working Holidays

Stay a little longer


Want to stay longer in Tropical North Queensland? A working holiday could be right for you. The Australian Government has strict laws surrounding who can work in the country, so there are a few things you need to know.


  • If you want to work in Tropical North Queensland you’ll need to apply for a Working Holiday Maker visa before you arrive in Australia. This applies to all kinds of work – full-time or part-time, casual and volunteer.


  • You must be aged between 18 and 30 when you apply for a visa.


  • Not all countries are eligible for the Working Holiday Maker visa. You can see the full list here


  • You can stay in the country for a maximum of 12 months and are able to work for six months per employer.


  • If you want to stay even longer, you could be able to extend your visa by another 12 months by working in a regional area – like Tropical North Queensland! You’ll need to undertake at least three months specified work, like seasonal farm work, forestry, construction, fishing or mining.