The Gamaay Dreaming Track
This walking track will take you through a picturesque experience of tropical landscapes and ecosystems. Starting from a coastal terrain, you will proceed towards savannah grasslands, through to rainforest and sclerophyll forest. The Cooktown orchid, the state flower of Queensland, grows wild in this region – be on the lookout for it as you walk the track. Also along the track you will be able to see spectacular coastal views from many vantage points, so get your camera ready!
This track is graded as Moderate to difficult, for experienced bush walkers with specialised skills, including navigation and emergency first aid.Tracks are likely to be very rough, steep and unmarked in places.
Access is by permit only and can be made by a boat crossing from Cooktown, either your own boat or through help from the booking office in Cooktown.The booking office can email you a map and kml file, which can be opened with a GPS or the following Smart phone Apps.
Time : 2-3 Days to complete walk or for those short on time 1 day return walk to Mt Saunders Class: Class 5 Walking Track for experienced Bushwalkers.
When walking the Gamaay Dreaming track, you need to be self-sufficient:
- Carry adequate food & water for your walk(min 2L water/person/day)
- Wear suitable clothing, headwear & footwear
- Keep to the tracks
- Carry first aid, map & GPS.
- Limited mobile phone coverage – only Telstra network available at certain spots. You should consider carrying a satellite phone and or Distress beacon.
- No phone reception at Finish of walk
- All walkers should inform at least one person of their plans and arrange a time by which they will notify them of their safe return.
- Please note this is an alcohol restricted area
- Do not litter and take all your rubbish with you
- Be Croc wise–crocodiles are prevalent in the waterways of this area
- Bush fire safety, never commence a walk if a bushfire is burning in the area
What’s on nearby
Sports10 November 2018
One of the most popular events on the social calendar in Cooktown.
Come and experience a real country race meet at the second oldest turfView event
Sports26 - 28 Oct 2018
Sovereign Resort Barramundi Fishing CompetitionView event
Sports2 November 2018
Weipa Billfish Club Ladies Gamefish Day 2018View event
Arts & Culture14 - 16 Jun 2019
Cooktown Discovery FestivalView event
Sports28 - 30 Jun 2019
Laura Races and RodeoView event