Looking for things to do on the Atherton Tablelands? We’ve got the 101 – literally. Here’s 101 activities on the Atherton Tablelands to add to your list.
1. Swim in a volcanic crater at Lake Eacham. Wander along the 3km lake circuit and keep your eyes peeled for wildlife.
2. Get caffeinated at Skybury Coffee and pick up some farm-fresh red papayas.
3. Catch a movie old-school style at the Mareeba Drive In.
4. Rail ride your way from Herberton to Historic Village Herberton on the Tinlander.
5. Waterfall-hop your way around Millaa Millaa Falls, Zillie Falls and Ellinjaa Falls on the Waterfall Circuit.
6. Wander through the quaint village of Yungaburra for a spot of boutique shopping.
7. Soar above the rolling farmlands surrounding Mareeba on a hot air balloon at sunrise.
8. Watch the sunset over Balancing Rock and the rocky bushlands in Chillagoe.
9. Wind your way around 263 corners on the Gillies Highway and stop for a beautiful view at Heales Lookout.
10. Join FNQ Nature Tours for a wildlife spotting tour.
11. Drive on Queensland’s Highest Road (Tumoulin Road) towards Ravenshoe then grab a bite to eat in Queensland’s Highest Pub.
12. Climb to 1300 metres above sea level and hike to Lambs Head (Kahlpahlim Rock) in Davies Creek National Park.
13. Make a moo-ve to Gallo Dairyland for homemade chocolate and cheese and visit the animal nursery.
14. Visit two waterfalls in one stop – Tchupala Falls and Wallicher Falls – which are located off the Palmerston Highway.
15. Head to the Hou Wang Temple in Atherton to learn about the areas rich Chinese heritage.
16. Laze the day away into a boujee bath tub in an adorable Airbnb.
17. Embrace your inner speed demon at Go Kart Action Makotrac in Mareeba.
18. Meet an ancient giant at the Cathedral Fig Tree National Park.
19. Treasure hunt at the Mount Gibson fossicking area and search for topaz. (Licence required).
20. Gaze deep into the eerie Mt Hypipamee Crater and cool off at the nearby Dinner Falls.
21. Pick your own punnet of strawberries at Shaylee Strawberries.
22. Look for Lumholtz’s Tree Kangaroos near the Nerada Tea plantation.
23. Take a dip in the rocky Emerald Creek Falls near Mareeba and grab an ice cream from nearby Emerald Creek Ice Creamery.
24. Go down the rabbit hole and dine at Alice in Wonderland themed cafe, Mad Hatterz, in Yungaburra.
25. Time travel to the pioneer era at Historic Village Herberton.
26. See wind turbines set against rolling hills at Windy Hill Farm.
27. Visit the Tolga Bat Hospital and join a guided tour to meet adorable rescued bats.
28. Gaze at uninterrupted views of the Southern Night Sky with little light pollution from the Chillagoe Observatory.
29. Hike the 6km loop trail top Whartons Lookout near Herberton and see the stunning Carrington Falls.
30. Head to Lake Tinaroo for a weekend of camping, swimming, fishing, watersports and kayaking.
31. Stay in the lap of luxury in the outback at Mt Mulligan Lodge.
32. Catch a movie at Australia’s longest running commercial cinema in Malanda.
33. Head to Millstream Falls, which is reputably Australia’s widest single-drop waterfall.
34. Pay your respects to the Australians who served in Afghanistan at the Afghanistan Avenue of Honour in Yungaburra.
35. Make way to Lake Barrine Teahouse and tuck into the famous Devonshire Tea.
36. Visit the Crystal Caves in Atherton and journey through 300m² of tunnels and grottos filled with crystals.
37. Soak in a Nettle Creek at Innot Hot Springs or plunge into the pools at the Leisure Park, which utilises water from the springs.
38. Taste locally made spirits at Mt Uncle Distillery.
39. Twitch away the day at Hasties Swamp, a refuge for resident and migratory birds.
40. Feast on Nonna’s favourites at Nick’s Swiss Italian Restaurant in Yungaburra.
41. Hand feed rock wallabies and wander the boulder-strewn landscape at Granite Gorge Nature Park.
42. Learn how to pan for tin and pump your own water at Herberton Mining Museum.
43. Sleep in the rainforest at The Canopy Treehouses and reconnect with nature.
44. Taste your way through the tablelands on Brett’s Outback Tasting Tours.
45. Walk the Bunda Bibandji rock art track in Davies Creek National Park and see ancient rock art galleries.
46. Live out your Indiana Jones Dreams and explore the Chillagoe-Mungana Caves National Park on a self-guided cave walk.
47. Make a splash in Malanda Falls and wander through the Malanda Falls Conservation Park on short walking tracks.
48. Paddle Lake Tinaroo by moonlight and look for wildlife with On The Wallaby.
49. Take your appetite to Mungalli Creek Dairy for biodynamic cheese, yoghurt and ice cream.
50. Look out for the elusive platypus at the Australian Platypus Park in Tarzali.
51. Hike to Windin Falls in Wooroonooran National Park for stunning views.
52. Experience all things coffee and chocolate at Coffeeworks.
53. Browse the Yungaburra Markets on the fourth Saturday of every month.
54. Discover Mareebashire’s rich history at the Mareeba Heritage Museum and Visitor Information Centre.
55. Keep your eyes peeled for birds as you head up Mount Baldy near Atherton for sweeping vistas.
56. Fuel up on freshly made pastries and pies from Ravenshoe Bakery.
57. Go a little off the beaten path to Pepina Falls & Souita Falls, both located between Millaa Millaa and Ravenshoe.
58. See stunning views from an extinct volcanic cone at Hallorans Hill Conservation Park.
59. Thought there were only two crater lakes? Introducing Lake Euramoo, the quieter sibling of Barrine and Eacham located in Danbulla National Park.
60. Pedal 55km of 17 stunning trails at the Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park.
61. Pack a picnic and pull up at Millaa Millaa Lookout for some of the most stunning views of the tablelands.
62. Hike and camp the Misty Mountains Trails.
63. Go behind the scenes to see how coffee is made at Jaques Coffee Plantation in Mareeba.
64. Stay on the slopes of an extinct volcano at Mt Quincan Crater Retreat.
65. 4WD from Emerald Creek to Lake Tinaroo and stop at Mt Edith Lookout.
67. Visit the Chillagoe Smelters, a historic industrial site from the turn of the 20th century.
68. Hike through Wooroonooran National Park to the gigantic Nandroya Falls.
69. Find Vision Falls, tucked away in the rainforest near Lake Eacham.
70. Camp, kayak and hike at Lake Koombooloomba.
71. Take a 8km return hike to Turtle Rock in Davies Creek National Park.
72. Look for possums, birds, snakes and skinks in 40 Mile Scrub National Park.
73. Visit the Mungana Aboriginal Art Site at the Archways near Chillagoe.
74. Take a short walk through Wongabel State Forest.
75. Cool off in Little Millstream Falls, an oasis fed by three plunging falls.
76. Embrace your inner detective at Herberton Spy and Camera Museum.
77. Camp and fish at Jumna Dam near Irvinebank.
78. Donkey trek through the tablelands near Herberton with Wilderness Expeditions.
79. Explore Lake Barrine and look out for wildlife on a boat cruise.
80. Head on a 4wd adventure to find Mckenzie Falls in Tumoulin National Park.
81. Pick up an abundance of fresh fruit, veg and produce from The Humpy.
82. Join a ranger guided tour and head underground to explore the Chillagoe caves.
83. Search for platypus at Peterson Creek, then wander along the Peterson Creek Wildlife & Botanical Walking Track.
84. Head up to the Tablelands via the Palmerston Highway and stop off at Crawfords Lookout for views of the rainforest-flanked Johnstone River.
85. Visit Mungalli Falls at the Mungalli Falls Education Centre and walk to the viewing platform at the bottom of the falls.
86. Tackle Queensland’s highest mountain, Mt Bartle Frere, from the Western Approach (4WD recommended).
87. Camp at Woodleigh Station, a working cattle station.
88. Learn about how soldiers lived, worked and played on the World War 2 Heritage Walk in Millstream Falls National Park.
89. Soak in Mother Nature’s swimming pool at Halls Falls.
90. Cycle 20km from Atherton to Walkamin on the Atherton Tablelands Rail Trail.
91. Head to Lake Barrine and wander along the rainforest boardwalk to the twin Bull Kauri Pines, which are estimated to be over 1000 years old.
92. Swim in a natural infinity pool at Davies Creek Falls.
93. Treat your tastebuds to Australian Mango Wine at Golden Drop Winery.
94. Take a seat on a swing with incredible views at the end of the 6.5km (one way) Stewart Head Trail.
95. Wash off the red dust and swim in an outback oasis at the Chillagoe Weir.
96. Wet your whistle with a freshly brewed craft beer from Billycart Brewing.
97. Nurture yourself in nature at Rosegums Wilderness Retreat and search for wildlife from your own treehouse.
98. Put crawl your way through the Tablelands. Notable historic pubs include the Peeramon Hotel, Tolga Pub, Gateway Hotel in Mareeba and Yungaburra Hotel.
99. Explore Irvinebank to see architectural sites from the late 1800s.
100. Gaze upon endless green rolling hills from Lamins Hill Lookout.
101. Be amazed by the Curtain Fig Tree, which is estimated to be over 500 years old.