Be sun smart
The weather is one of the best things about Tropical North Queensland, but the sun up here can be very strong year round – and nothing ruins a holiday like a nasty sunburn. Take some simple precautions to stay sun smart.
There are five key ways to protect yourself:
- Apply a water-resistant broad spectrum sunscreen of SPF30 or higher 20 minutes before you go outside. Reapply every two hours or more regularly if you’re swimming.
- Wear a wet suit or long sleeved sunshirt when swimming or snorkelling for a stronger protection from the sun.
- Dress in light, cotton clothing with a close weave. It’s cool and comfortable while still offering good protection.
- Wear a broad-brimmed hat that covers your face and neck.
- Wear good-quality sunglasses that sit close to your face and protect your whole eye.
- Seek out shade where you can and avoid direct sun during the hottest part of the day (10am to 2pm).